Friday, April 15, 2011

Little Things

I've been reflective lately. Thinking about what really matters in life. I suppose this has been going on for awhile, intensified around the time I was hospitalized and some recent events (which I would rather not discuss on the blog) just have me thinking about time, connections and happiness. I'm trying a new thing where, despite all the annoying or frustrating or less than optimal things that can happen throughout the day, I'm choosing at the end of the day to think about the things that make me happy or for which I'm thankful. I think maybe I'll write about them here to (a) force myself to write and (b) keep myself thinking about the things that make me happy instead of the things that make me not so happy. I really believe it can make a difference to focus on the positive.

I'm not going to list out the obvious things (A, family, people in my life, being healthy, having a place to live and not lacking for food, etc.) because, while those are all things I am very grateful for, they would be the same things everyday. I'm going to focus more on the little things - those unplanned, sometimes unexpected, things that just happen throughout the day to make it better. It's not a complete list of every single thing that made me happy during the day - just the 3 or so that stand out when I ask myself at the end of the day: "what made you happy today?"

So today's "happiness list":

- I was able to go to the chiropractor/PT, which meant I got to leave the office before it got dark and just worked from home later.

- The sunlight was really intense as the sun was setting and shone directly on my office window. I basked in the warm sunlight for about 5 minutes while getting some stuff done and it felt wonderful.

- We opened this box of coconut vanilla macaroons that we bought last weekend at Stop and Shop. They were deliciously coconut-ty and so moist. I love macaroons.

What made you happy today?

No comments:

Post a Comment