Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fake Locations

Castle is one of my favorite TV shows. I love the characters, the action, the story, the chemistry, everything about the show. I've watched it since episode 1 and have been really happy to see more people discovering the show. Hopefully it will be around for awhile.

But while I love the show, every so often I get taken out of the story when something doesn't look quite right. The show is set in New York but they film in Los Angeles. Usually I don't notice, but last night I did.

They claimed that a victim lived at 35th and 8th, and showed the suspect this picture:


The only problem is that 35th and 8th in Manhattan looks nothing like this. (Street view it.) It's a very crowded, non-green area near Madison Square Garden and Penn Station filled with old skyscrapers. There's no wide sidewalks with large plush trees. There's no spacious residential buildings with a fence, and there's certainly no grass. I paused and rewound the episode to make sure I heard them right.

It occurred to me that maybe it could be another borough but 8th Avenue in Brooklyn doesn't cross 35th Street because of the cemetery, and I looked up all the 8th Avenues in Queens and they don't cross a 35th Street either. Nothing in the Bronx or Staten Island that I know of.

It's certainly not a big deal but it wouldn't have made the story any less effective to show a picture of a skyscraper (except they're not always very distinctive) if you're going to use that address. The perils of living in NYC ... you can nitpick all the shows set here that don't film here!

No comments:

Post a Comment