Saturday, February 11, 2012

JFK to CUN

Part of a series recapping our 2012 trip to Cancun, Mexico!

Our flight from JFK to Cancun was relatively unexciting (which, for a flight, isn't such a bad thing). We were so exhausted and tried to sleep through as much of the flight as we could. Neither of us slept through the entire flight but we did get in at least an hour each.

Since we were attempting to sleep (or at least rest) for the majority of the flight, we didn't take any pictures. But here's a review of our in-flight experience:

Seating: We opted not to pay for the extra legroom seating for this flight since it wasn't that long. (Actual flight time was around 4 hours.) The seats weren't as cramped as some other domestic airlines but it was still not that comfortable. We had a window seat and middle seat on a full flight. It was very bright and sunny outside during the flight and I hadn't closed the windowshade before falling asleep so I kept waking up drenched in sweat from the heat of the sun. But considering my usual need for sun therapy, I was happy to see sunlight.

Food and drink service: Jetblue still serves free snacks (chips or cookies). You have to pay for the snackboxes (none of which appealed to me as they're all snack food) and there are no other meals onboard. I opted for the sea salt popcorners while A just tried to sleep through snacktime. I'm glad Jetblue carries popcorners, as they are some of my favorite chips. As for drinks, it seems we slept through the drink ordering time. I couldn't understand why the flight attendant for our row, when handing out drinks, chose to pretend I didn't exist when I was trying to get her attention to find out how I could get a drink later. She could have just said that she would get back to me when she finished handing things out. I saw other flight attendants do that on that same flight. Instead it's like I was invisible. Jetblue usually has really good service so I was surprised. It took me at least 10 minutes to flag down another flight attendant to ask about drinks. I would have given up and just tried to nap again but I really wanted some cold apple juice after sitting in the sun.

In-flight entertainment: A big reason why we like Jetblue is the in-seat TV. We love being able to watch or listen to TV while on our trip. It helps the flight go by more quickly. I tried every time I woke up but all of the TV channels said they were searching for a signal. It wasn't because we were out of U.S. range either because we were over the Carolinas a few times when I checked. Maybe they made an announcement when I was sleeping that the TV didn't work, but that was disappointing. The XM radio did work, but I didn't realize that until at least halfway through the flight. I also didn't realize for some time that the movies were free because we were on a flight outside of the 48 contiguous states. I doubt I would have stayed awake through a movie anyway. A watched parts of Dolphin Tale on other people's TVs. But mostly we listened to music and tried to nap.

Other passengers: There were some really rude people on our flight. Made us question whether Cancun was the right vacation destination for us if these are the types of people who go there. Luckily we didn't really encounter anyone like that while at our resort. I know the flight was early in the morning, but there's no excuse to be snapping at other passengers and flight attendants when the poor guy was just trying to figure out a solution so that he could sit with his small child. No one asked them to babysit, so it's unclear why they had such an outrageous reaction to what he was doing. The flight attendants handled this well though, so I was glad.

Generally, the flight was fine. All of the "issues" (getting a drink, no TV channels) were really minor ones. Much better than our last Jetblue flight when my TV wouldn't even turn on. (This time at least with no TV service I could still get the map channel that I love.)

Next up: we arrive in Cancun!

No comments:

Post a Comment