Tuesday, September 20, 2011

2 Broke Girls 1.1

"Pilot" (originally aired September 19, 2011)

The new CBS comedy 2 Broke Girls is about... 2 broke girls. They meet while working at a diner and by the end of the pilot, are friends and roommates with plans to start a cupcake bakery. One has the cupcake talent (we're told) and the other is supposed to be the equivalent of Madoff's daughter who has lost everything. That's the plot in a nutshell (unless I missed something when cringing at the laugh track).

The reviews for the show were good, and many of the critics thought this was the best new comedy in the fall slate, along with the New Girl (although some thought this one was better). I really wanted to like it.

But there were quite a few things I had issues with:

1. The laugh track. I grew up watching lots of sitcoms and the entire TGIF slate but it seems that now I can't take the laugh track. It just annoys me.

2. I didn't laugh at all. I think I found Free Agents funnier. And as I mentioned on Twitter last week, I laughed with the Teen Wolf finale more than both Up All Night and Free Agents combined. The jokes here just felt very flat and not very funny.

3. It felt like I was watching an old 90s sitcom ... but that is a different age in comedy. Are there a lot of comedies out there like this now? (I don't watch any of the CBS ones.)

It just didn't feel fun. Comedies should be entertaining and fun!

As I mentioned previously, I give new shows a few tries. This will get another chance, although I'm not sure I want to use up DVR space (so I hope it's online). They didn't get to the "starting point" of the show (friends and roommates with a plan) until the end of the pilot, so I feel obligated to give the "real" show a try. But if I don't find the next episode funny at all either, I think that will be it for the 2 broke girls for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment