Thursday, September 29, 2011

Double Class

Each year I make a new years resolution to get back in shape. Each year it... doesn't happen. It's so hard to find time with long and unpredictable hours at work and things just feel like they are spiraling out of control. I barely recognize myself in the mirror. Must get in shape!

This week I have been trying to at least do a 10 minute workout before leaving for the office in the morning. Since I don't know what time I'll get out (usually, not early enough for a cardio class at the gym) or how sedentary I will be that day (usually, very, although not my fault, it's the nature of the job since treadmill desks aren't an option), at least I'll have done something that day to try to meet the goal. I prefer exercising in the afternoon, as that is when my body most wants to exercise, but I think the best time to exercise to make sure you get the work in is the morning. Sadly, I'm not a morning person. That needs to change.

Today, I was lucky because it's Rosh Hashanah so I had the day off. I decided to push myself and take 2 classes at the gym: body combat (martial arts-inspired cardio) and vinyasa yoga. I love body combat, as it's the one workout where I really feel like I'm getting good cardio in all the time, and I love yoga, as I usually feel fantastic after every class.

Body combat was great as usual, but yoga today kicked my a**. After the class started, she announced that it wasn't really a beginner class (they probably should note that in the schedule). I've been doing yoga for years, so knowing the moves and the technique isn't my problem. My issue is that I'm out of practice and lack the strength to get it done. There were so many things that I know I've done before that I just couldn't manage. Of course, it was after body combat, so my arms would barely hold up for downward facing dog! I was reminded constantly (by myself) of how far out of practice I had fallen. It was very sad. This was probably the first yoga class in a long time where I haven't walked out feeling super stretched out (since I had to keep stopping during the moves) and in sync.

I need to start working out more. Any suggestions for things I can actually do in the office (other than pushups)?

No comments:

Post a Comment