Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Old Memories

I was about to go to sleep around 2:20 am (yes, it's late, but I passed out for a bit during my usual 4-6 pm window; what is my problem?) when I had this sudden compulsion to check my very old xanga site. I don't even remember my login information so any private posts are probably lost but it occurred to me that I didn't know if xanga still existed or if my old blog was gone forever.

Luckily it is still there, so I should probably save it soon before it's gone like the year of missing tweets. But since I went to the site I of course got sucked into reading my old posts for about 20 minutes before I forced myself to stop. It was like reading a mix of quiz results, law school to do lists and progress trackers that I used to try to keep myself accountable, yelp-like dining reviews (no photos), and what would have been tweets if twitter existed back in 2003. So interesting to realize that, except for all the times when blogging has been light due to busyness, losing my blogging voice (still not convinced I've gotten it back), or just having nothing to say because I'm boring, I've been blogging (or microblogging, in the case of my "less blogging because of twitter" stage, which sadly overlaps with the year of missing, or more accurately, unsaved, tweets) since I started law school back in 2002. I didn't say much back then as I (at that point sporadically) kept a paper journal for my more personal thoughts but it was really interesting to go back and read my first blog post ever. I almost forgot how alone I felt starting out on my new journey in Chicago, only knowing A and having no idea what the future would bring. It's been a long road and I'm glad to have my old site to bring back some buried memories that I thought were gone forever.

Reading those old posts reminds me of why I like blogging. I love looking back on the archives and remembering where I've been and all the things that made me into the person I am today. It also reminds me that I should be doing it more. I now have timehop to remind me of my checkins and tweets from one year ago, but I don't have my longer thoughts and my history if I don't write. Something nagging in my subconscious must have wanted me to write more and to not forget my life and sent up that thought to check on xanga. I'm glad I listened instead of going straight to bed, even if I wish tomorrow that I had that extra half hour of sleep. It's a wake up call I feel like I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment