Monday, October 24, 2011

Happy Birthday to My iPhone

Today (well, Sunday, but mentally, it is still Sunday to me) was the one year anniversary of my switch to the iPhone. It has really changed my life. I held off on getting a smartphone for so long, partially because of cost and partially because I had my blackberry from work and never really "needed" it. But a year ago, I gave in, and I knew I could never go back.

Unless blackberry finds a way to really compete, I feel like it's dying out. The apps on that just can't compete with iPhone or Android. Before I got my iPhone, I kept seeing all the things you could do with a real smartphone that the blackberry just wasn't capable of handling. I remember when I got this model of the blackberry and I was so excited because the webpages it pulled up looked so much more like real websites than my old one! But having only one browser window and not being able to view as much as a real browser was such a limitation. Now my blackberry feels so ancient.

It also used to be that I would never answer my phone because I would forget to charge it or wouldn't even carry it with me ("just pin me!"), but now it's the exact opposite. Now I rarely bring my blackberry when I'm not at work, so pinning me is not the best way to reach me. How times change.

Another big way in which the iPhone changed my life - I don't bring my "little camera" (i.e., the non-SLR) with me everywhere because now I have my iPhone. Sure, my old phone had a camera, but that camera was a piece of crap. It took tiny low-resolution images that are kind of worthless except to jog your memory. My blackberry had a camera but it wasn't good enough as a replacement for the little camera. The iPhone one is, except in low light, but even then the little camera was temperamental. It has definitely cut down on the number of things I carry each day since now I don't need the little camera as much (except on the plane or with the gorillapod).

I could go on and on about it, not including the ways in which it just "enriches" the day with mental breaks for games, but I really need to get some sleep to try to fight off this illness. Just wanted to say happy birthday to my iPhone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment