Saturday, October 8, 2011

Twitter

I tweet a fair amount. OK, that's probably an understatement on some days. Sometimes I tweet a lot.

It's been tough for me to balance the blog with twitter. Microblog v. blog. Many of the things that used to end up on my old blog (e.g., one sentence thoughts about weird ads on tv), I would send to twitter instead because it seemed more appropriate. After I started using twitter a lot, my blogging frequency plummeted. I wasn't proud of that, but I figured, at least I was writing something, even if it was just in little bursts.

I thought I had been regularly saving my blog history, but unless it's on a portable HD somewhere in our apartment, it looks like I'm missing about 10 months of my twitter history since the twitter website only allows you to retrieve a certain number of posts. I can't get anything earlier than October 2010! That's so recent (to me)! Luckily I did find a file where I saved everything earlier than December 2009. But the entire period between those dates - which included our first married holidays, our first real trip to Europe, planning our reception - is gone. I know it can't be gone forever since apparently the entire twitter archive will one day end up in the Library of Congress, but I can't figure out how to get it.

I write so often nowadays of the fear of losing my memories. Tonight I went on twitter instead of sleeping "early" to relieve some bizarre out-of-nowhere compulsion to save my history and instead realized there's a lot missing that I thought would be there. Been trying to tackle this for over an hour and a half now.

I have gone through search sites and backup sites and don't know where to begin. I'm looking for something that can pull in my entire history so that I can back it up. Preferably free, but if it's a nominal one-time fee, I could go for that to save my memories. Not just the past 3,200 tweets as I am well beyond that number, but the entire history. I know no one really reads this blog but in the event someone does come across it, and has ideas on twitter backup, please let me know. I would really hate to lose all those memories forever.

And yes, I've also posted this inquiry on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment